Coconut Layer Cake
Moist, tender and full of flavor, this special cake is a perfect finale to any meal. The cake may be made a day ahead.
3/4 cup Now Xylitol sugar substitute *
1 tablespoon coconut extract
2/3 cup Carbquik Bake Mix *
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
6 egg whites
3/4 cup Now Xylitol sugar substitute
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup Now unsweetened shredded coconut *
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease two 8-inch cake pans; line bottoms with parchment paper; grease again. With an electric mixer on high, beat eggs, sugar substitute, and extract until ribbons form, about 5 minutes.
2. In three additions sift bake mix over egg mixture; fold in with a rubber spatula to combine. Fold in butter. Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake 22 minutes until cake springs back in middle when lightly touched. Cool in pans on wire racks 5 minutes. Line racks with paper towels and invert cake layers. Gently peel off parchment. Cool completely.
4. For frosting: in a double boiler or a bowl placed over simmering water, whisk egg whites, sugar substitute and salt until temperature reaches 130°F. Transfer whites to mixing bowl and beat on high speed until cool. Reduce speed to medium and beat in butter until well combined.
5. Place one cake layer on serving plate. Mix 1 cup frosting with half the coconut; frost bottom layer. Place top cake layer over bottom layer. Cover top and sides with remaining frosting. Pat remaining coconut over frosting.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Bake/Cook time: 22 minutes
Carbohydrates: 6.5 grams, Net Carbs: 5.5 grams, Fiber: 1 grams , Protein: 7.5 grams, Fat: 37 grams, Calories: 404