Cherry Hazelnut Biscotti from Atkins Kitchen
These traditional Italian cookies are baked twice for extra crispness—dip them into a cup of decaf coffee for an afternoon treat. If you prefer, you may substitute macadamia nuts or pecans for hazelnuts.
1 1/2 cups toasted and skinned hazelnuts: 1/2 cup finely chopped, 1 cup coarsely chopped
1 cup Atkins Bake Mix *
2/3 cup MoreFiber Stevia Baking Blend *
1/3 cup Now Xylitol*
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sour cream
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 sticks butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup dried cherries
1. Heat oven to 350F. Whisk together finely chopped hazelnuts, bake mix, sugar substitutes, cinnamon and salt. In a medium bowl mix sour cream, and eggs.
2. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter 3 minutes until creamy. Alternately add bake mix mixture and sour cream mixture to butter. Stir in cherries and coarsely chopped hazelnuts.
3. Divide dough in half. On ungreased baking sheets form each dough half into a log measuring 12" x 2 1/2" (moisten hands if necessary to keep dough from sticking).
4. Bake logs 25 minutes, until almost firm. Transfer sheets to wire rack to cool 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
5. Carefully cut logs crosswise, with a serrated knife, into 1/2" wide slices. Arrange slices on baking sheets. Bake 15 to 17 minutes until firm and crisp. Cool slices on baking sheets before storing.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Bake/Cook time: 40 minutes
Carbohydrates: 2.5 grams, Net Carbs: 1.5 grams, Fiber: 1 grams ,Protein: 1.5 grams, Fat: 7.5 grams,
As a dietary supplement use MoreFiber™ in your favorite recipe. MoreFiber makes it easy to reduce or take sugar out of your conventional recipes. Click here for recipes using MoreFiber
MoreFiber contains NuStevia, Maltodextrin, Dextrin, Oat Fiber, Acacia Gum, Tapioca Flour, Guar Gum & Xanthan Gum.
MoreFiber contains NuStevia™ extract. One of the side effects of this dietary supplement is that it is extremely sweet. It is recommended that for every part (for example 1 cup) of MoreFiber that you use, you should reduce the amount of sugar called for in the recipe by equal parts to keep your final product from being too sweet. The ingredients in MoreFiber may help you manage your blood sugar levels more efficiently.
NuNaturals MoreFiber Baking Blend is a revolutionary new ingredient that can be added to recipes to increase the fiber in cakes, cookies and other baked goods. MoreFiber contains multiple fibers that each work in different ways to help your digestive tract function better and stay healthy. MoreFiber contains both soluble and insoluble fibers. Insoluble fiber is good for increasing bulk while soluble fiber forms a thick gel. These fibers help your digestive system work optimally. The USDA recommends that adults take in a minimum of 30 grams of fiber daily. The typical American consumes only 10 to 15 grams of fiber daily making fiber supplementation necessary to maintain a healthy digestive tract. The fibers in MoreFiber are very gentle and will not cause gas or bloating. Our soluble fibers also have prebiotic effects. Prebiotics help feed the beneficial flora in your digestive tract.
Aside from the health benefits that the ingredients in MoreFiber provide, they also improve the texture, shelf life and overall quality of the baked good that you produce. Not only can you reduce the amount of fat in your recipe, but MoreFiber™ actually binds the fat to the other ingredients so that the final product is improved overall. MoreFiber does not create any unpleasant tastes or after tastes. You will find that the baked goods that you create with MoreFiber will have a better taste and texture than recipes without MoreFiber. This is the quality that you expect from NuNaturals.
Contains no soy, yeast, wheat, milk, synthetics, msg, artificial colors or flavors, preservatives, saccharin, aspartame, sucralose, or artificial sweeteners.