Cherry Hazelnut Biscotti
These traditional Italian cookies are baked twice for extra crispness—dip them into a cup of decaf coffee for an afternoon treat. If you prefer, you may substitute macadamia nuts or pecans for hazelnuts.
1 1/2 cups toasted and skinned hazelnuts: 1/2 cup finely chopped, 1 cup coarsely chopped
1 cup Atkins Bake Mix *
2/3 cup MoreFiber Stevia Baking Blend *
1/3 cup Now Xylitol*
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sour cream
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 sticks butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup dried cherries
1. Heat oven to 350F. Whisk together finely chopped hazelnuts, bake mix, sugar substitutes, cinnamon and salt. In a medium bowl mix sour cream, and eggs.
2. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter 3 minutes until creamy. Alternately add bake mix mixture and sour cream mixture to butter. Stir in cherries and coarsely chopped hazelnuts.
3. Divide dough in half. On ungreased baking sheets form each dough half into a log measuring 12" x 2 1/2" (moisten hands if necessary to keep dough from sticking).
4. Bake logs 25 minutes, until almost firm. Transfer sheets to wire rack to cool 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
5. Carefully cut logs crosswise, with a serrated knife, into 1/2" wide slices. Arrange slices on baking sheets. Bake 15 to 17 minutes until firm and crisp. Cool slices on baking sheets before storing.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Bake/Cook time: 40 minutes
Carbohydrates: 2.5 grams, Net Carbs: 1.5 grams, Fiber: 1 grams ,Protein: 1.5 grams, Fat: 7.5 grams,