Dark Chocolate Cake with Buttercream Filling
Recipe courtesy of Barbara Pollack
of Expert Foods
Dark chocolate cake is a classic. This cake is dark enough to be called a devil's food cake and rich, moist and elegant enough to impress anyone. Even though you make it from scratch using your own fresh ingredients, with our Wise CHOice Cake-ability Baking Aid (CBA, for short) it's faster and easier to make than most regular cake mixes.
Serve it plain, or topped by a little whipped cream and a drizzle of sugar-free syrup. Imagine it with raspberry syrup and a few fresh raspberries as garnish, or try it with our Buttercream-like Frosting. You can bake it in two layer-cake pans, but it's easier to bake it as a single layer in a springform pan, then slice it across with dental floss (it doesn't tear the cake).
Recipe By : Barbara Pollack
Serving Size: 16
Preparation Time :30:00 mins or 10:00 if microwaved
1/2 cup Wise CHOice Cake-ability Baking Aid * (55g)
1/2 pound ground pecans (225g or about 2 cups)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder * (50g)
3/4 cup sugar equivalent (equivalent to 100g)
1 1/8 cups water (270ml)
7 tablespoons oil (105ml)
2 teaspoons vanilla (10ml)
1. Mix (or grind) together, breaking up any lumps: CBA, ground nuts, cocoa powder sweetener, if dry (or add liquid sweetener in Step 3), pinch salt.
2. Line baking pan with parchment or foil, or grease and "flour" with mixture from Step 1.
3. In a separate bowl combine water, beaten eggs, oil and vanilla flavoring.
4. Stir liquid and dry ingredients together until thoroughly wet -- no need to beat!
5. Immediately pour into prepared pan and microwave (around 7 minutes) or bake at 350°F (175°C) or until center springs back.
Nutrition per serving* (calculated by Mastercook): 180 calories; 16.7g fat (1.9g sat); 5.5g carb (of which 3.1g is fiber); 4.2g protein *based on no-calorie sweetener