"Endulgent" Chocolate Cake
Courtesy of Atkins Kitchen.
It’s hard to believe this luscious dessert is low-carb—but remember portion control!
8 Atkins EndulgeTM Chocolate Candy Bar, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon instant decaffeinated espresso powder
1 tablespoon hot water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs, at room temperature
whipped cream for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325ºF. Grease an 8” round baking pan and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl. In a small cup, mix espresso powder, water, vanilla and salt; stir into chocolate. Set mixture aside to cool.
3. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat eggs until they fall in thick ribbons when beater is lifted, about 6 minutes. In three additions, fold eggs into the chocolate mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top.
4. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near middle of cake comes out with a few moist crumbs and cake is evenly raised. Cool completely on a wire rack.
5. To remove cake, run a knife around edge of pan. Dip bottom of pan into hot water for 1 minute, then turn cake out onto cutting board. Turn right side up onto a serving platter. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.