Courtesy of Atkins Kitchen
Our patriotic dessert is a tender vanilla cake topped with a layer of whipped cream and berries.
1 3/4 cup Carbquik Bake Mix *
1 cup Diabetisweet or Splenda sugar substitute *
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons lemon zest
9 large eggs, at room temperature, separated
3/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 teaspoons Singing Dog vanilla extract, divided *
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons Diabetisweet or Splenda sugar substitute *
1 quart strawberries, halved
1/2 cup blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 13” x 9” baking pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl whisk bake mix, sugar substitute, salt and zest. Combine yolks, water, oil and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Slowly add the liquid mixture into the dry mixture, whisking until just combined.
3. With an electric mixer on high, beat whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form, about 4 minutes.
4. Using a rubber spatula, fold whites into batter in three additions. Pour batter into prepared pan, spread evenly and smooth top. Bake 25 to 30 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and sides have just started to pull away from the pan. Allow cake to cool completely, about 1 hour.
5. Transfer cake to a serving platter, running a sharp knife around the side to help release. Insert strips of waxed paper underneath cake. With an electric mixer on high, beat cream, remaining 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and sugar substitute until soft peaks form. Using a metal spatula, spread whipped cream in an even layer on top and sides of cake.
6. Form “stars” by arranging blueberries in upper left corner of cake to form a 4”x3” blue square. Form "stripes" by arranging strawberries in 4 equally-spaced horizontal lines across cake.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake/Cook time: 30 minutes
Chill time: 1 hour
Carbohydrates: 15 grams, Net Carbs: 10 grams, Fiber: 4 grams, Protein: 15.5 grams, Fat: 25 grams, Calories: 342