Mediterranean Pizza from Atkins Kitchen
developed by Mariann Sauvion
This colorful veggie pizza is light and filling - but plan ahead though, the dough takes 1 hour to rise.
1 box (12.6 oz) Atkins Quick and Easy Country White Bread Mix *
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 medium eggplant, cut into 1/4" slices
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup controlled carb tomato sauce, such as Rao
1 cup cooked crumbled Italian sausage (about 2 links)
1/2 small yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
2 ounce log fresh goat cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, very thinly sliced
1. Combine bread mix and yeast in a large bowl. Add 1 1/2 cups warm water and 3 tablespoons olive oil. Mix with a spoon to form a soft dough. Knead gently for one minute; shape into a ball. Cover with plastic, and let rise for 1 hour or until dough is doubled in size.
2. While dough is rising, sprinkle eggplant with salt; place in a colander to drain for 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
3. Heat oven to 450º F. Brush eggplant slices with remaining olive oil and place in a single layer on a nonstick baking sheet. Bake ten minutes, turning once.
4. Shape dough into a 14” round and transfer to a wire mesh pizza screen or a pizza pan with holes. Spread tomato sauce on dough, leaving a 1/2” border. Top with eggplant, Italian sausage, yellow pepper and goat cheese. Spread toppings as close to the edge as possible.
5. Bake pizza 20-22 minutes, or until puffed and nicely browned. Remove from oven and sprinkle with basil.
Yield: 8 slices
Prep time: 30 minutes
Bake/Cook time: 20 minutes
Carbohydrates: 20 grams,Net Carbs: 9 grams,Fiber: 11 grams
Protein: 29.5 grams,Fat: 15.5 grams,