Sugar Free Candied Pecans
Make candy-coated nuts that look, feel, and taste as if they had been made with sugar, completely sugar-free. If you find yourself missing candy, try this recipe.
1 pound shelled pecans
4 tablespoons ThickenThin not/Sugar thickener
Sweetener equivalent to 1/4 cup sugar
Additional packets sweetener
Makes 16 servings
Preheat oven to 325°F and cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil.
1. Rinse nuts with water and drain well.
2. Mix ThickenThin not/Sugar thickener with sugar substitute and salt.
3. Transfer nuts to a large bowl. Sprinkle with not/Sugar mixture and mix until nuts are well-coated.
4. Place on prepared cookie sheet and bake at 325°F for 25 minutes or until nuts are dry and crisp with a toasted flavor. Periodically turn and separate the nuts (into individual pieces or small nut-brittle-like clusters) so that all surfaces get dry.
5. Remove from oven and cool. Test for sweetness - if not sweet enough, sprinkle with additional packets of sweetener to taste.
Nutrition* (as calculated by Mastercook) : 195 calories; 19.2g fat (1.6g sat); 6.6g carb (of which 3.6g is fiber); 2.2g protein -- also provides 1% of Vitamin A and C, 2% of calcium, and 3% of iron Daily Values. *based on no-calorie sweetener